Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dragon's Blood Sedum and marigold smell

I just came in from the garden. I planted a new Butterfly Bush, next to the grave. (A section I carved out from the main garden, it juts out six feet by four, and when it was first carved out from the sod stepson Alex said it looked like a grave.)  After planting the butterfly bush, I planted a few more plants then walked the garden picking a weed here and there, and planted some cilantro and nasturtium seeds.  I've planted nasturtium all over, so much I can't remember.  
It will be fun to see where they all come up. Nasturtiums I'm told by gardeners even older and crotchety than me, are the only plant that capture nitrogen from the air around it. I can't verify this, but its one of those things you can go "ooooo I like that."  You can also eat them, and the romans used nasturtium to spice cooking and salads.

When I was weeding the vegetable plots, I deadheaded the marigolds. Marigolds have an interesting very unflower- like smell. It's probably why they are good companion plants. I was trying to figure out the smell, and they smell like a wet pack of camels. When I was nine, I fished out a pack of camels from a relatives convertible, whose roof was left down in the rain . I hid them in my room to dry out to smoke. They smelled exactly like the marigolds of this afternoon. Yes I smoked when I was nine. Steve McQueen smoked, so I did too. Who doesn't want to be cool.

We made hypertufa pots a few years back, they are very amateurish, but I like them. This year I put some Dragon's blood sedum in the one.  I had torn it out, and pushed it in the dirt. Voila, they are growing and doing well, in partially shady spot. God bless dragon blood sedum. Every gardener needs a plant like dragons blood sedum.  It's good to have a plant in the garden that's indestructible, so when other things go awry, there is always that plant to reassure you you are not completely incompetent.  Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently a border of marigolds is supposed to be a good way of keeping rabbits out of the garden, because of the smell. I also remember when I was young my mom decided to save a penny one year and we saved the seeds from our marigolds and dried them over the winter at our cabin. The next spring we opened up the cabin and found that the mice had gotten in and at the trays of seeds. Seeds were hidden in every possible hiding place, including all over in the 1970'2 red shag carpeting. Years later we still ran across marigold seeds in odd places at the cabin. Never tried that again, bought new plants in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday at Malmbergs nursery, a woman picked up some marigolds and gave them a sniff, came away with a sour look. I should have warned her.

    ReplyDelete